Last weekend I discovered this amazing recipe for breakfast muffins.
They are easy to make, delicious, and when individually wrapped and placed in the fridge they are a great way to start the day.
A couple notes on them:
- It is okay if you don’t have maple syrup-just use sugar.
- I put chocolate chips and crasins in mine-and they are the perfect combo of tart and sweet.
- 5 packets of Quaker Instant Oatmeal (equivalent of 2 cups – any oatmeal will work)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of apple sauce or mashed banana (I used applesauce)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (Grade A)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil (or melted butter)
- Optional for batter: nuts, finely chopped fruit, chocolate chips
- Toppings: Fruit, nuts, chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a standard cupcake pan with 9 cupcake liners.
- Combine oatmeal and other dry ingredients in a bowl (including nuts or chocolate chips if you’re using them)
- In a separate bowl whisk together maple syrup, banana/applesauce, egg, melted coconut oil and vanilla
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, leaving some space for each cake to rise.
- Place any toppings of nuts, fruit or chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set and wet ingredients are fully absorbed.
- These can be stored in the refrigerator. Eat warm, chilled or at room temperature.